Saturday, January 24, 2009

I'm a Prince!

I have 150 exams to partially grade this week. My co-teacher will be handling the multiple choice parts while i get the essays and application questions. This division of the labor not only underscores our daily routine, but also our basic differences in proper assessment techniques. I admit that grading 150 essays is not fun, however, only multiple choice questions in a writing class is just not gonna cut it for me and my performance based background.

I gave my students two topics to write about that exemplified various forms of discourse:
1. Argue you opinion of legalization of gay marriage.
2. Describe the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.

I've gotten some very touching, and well thought out responses to both prompts. Also, their ability to write has gotten much better from their work in the first week (Oh my gosh I might actually be reaching them!!).


Below are the words one student so lovingly wrote about the most beautiful thing she's ever seen. I haven't changed the words at all.

The most beautiful person I’ve ever seen is my sir Justin. He’s my professor in the English subject. He’s tall, white complexion and a handsome too. He’s an American citizen. He always wears his black eye glasses and a smile in his face. I admire him so much because of his eyes, which is so blue, his nose which is tall, and of course he’s pinky and kissable lips. Sir Justin is a Peace Corps volunteer. He looks like a prince when he enters our room because of his glamorous appearance.


Now isn't that just the creepies...I mean sweetest thing. I guess through my glasses my brown eyes start to look blue, or something like that... This little gem though made 4 hours of essay reading pretty much worthwhile.


1 comment:

Catherine Trottman said...

Hi Justin!

Man your house looks like a palace! It's beautiful! I loved your post about the buckets - I know EXACTLY what you mean. It sounds like you're doing well, I'm glad. I'm starting to get more settled at site now.

p.s. I can't believe you have a STARBUCKS!