Saturday, May 24, 2008

I'm kind of like a spy now

Today I spent about four hours getting together my international paperwork. Because I'll be a government employee, the Peace Corp has asked that I get a second passport. In my mind this is a much cooler thing than it will be in practice. A recent episode of LOST has Benjamin Linus, the main antagonist, rummaging through a stack of passports in a frantic hurry. I think it'd be cool to also have the enjoyment of picking your own identity every time you wanted to travel. Part of the reason for me to go on this trip is to escape my American culture for a while. I think this goal will be hard to meet when I'm double-fisting two of the new, hyper-American passports (which have scenes of Americana in them like this jewel).

People who have passports are clearly trying to leave America, is it necessary to remind them of what they're missing? The only positive I can see is that every time I get a new stamp it can cover up a dead president's head, or one of these nice cowboys.

In this NYT article I the author is clearly trying their hardest to present the changes in their best light. At the bottom a lady is quoted as saying,
“It seems to represent an idealized version of a country that is far from ideal right now.Amen to that sister girl!

2 comments:

Schellhase said...

Justin, congratulations on your invitation. I read in the post below that you felt like you were becoming too focused on your experience and you wanted to be more outward focused. That's exactly how I was feeling when I decided to apply. I look forward to getting to know you more as we prepare to head out.

John

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to say that this is my first visit to your blog. But I'm certainly catching up on all the posts. You should check mine out too!

Haha, the new passports are a joke to me. "Americana" - all those things that America thinks it was, but which never really were true. Oh, yes, I love all the made up history and fantastical events that we, as a society, feel it is necessary to surround ourselves with.

I hope you have a great time with the Peace Corps. I would love to do that, but am far too domesticated to do so. :-) Tim and I miss you lots!